Skilled Philadelphia Car and Truck Accident Attorneys Fight for Your Future
Helping people who were hurt in a collision with another car or a commercial truck
Driving in the City can be a bit of a nightmare: the constant construction, the bumper-to-bumper traffic, the non-step deliveries to local shops, and the streams of tourists and pedestrians all pose additional risks to drivers. Of course, trying to ease your way onto or off of I-76 or I-95 can be difficult too, especially when the other cars are flying by, trying to get to the airport or the Walt Whitman. Getting into a car accident on a road in Philly is all too easy – and all too common.
That’s why you want Larry Pitt & Associates on your side if you’ve been hurt in a crash with a car or commercial vehicle. We’ve been protecting victims of traffic accidents for more than 35 years. We know what it takes to make a case for your recovery, and we stand by you at every step of the process. When you’re hurt, we’re here to help.
What are the most common causes of car crashes?
When you live in a city like Philadelphia, which had 42 million visitors in 2016, you’re surrounded by cars and people at all times. Speeding may be a primary cause for crashes on highways and interstates, but most city driving collisions are the result of:
- Driving while distracted
- Driving while drunk
- Trying to “beat” the light, either on the straight-away or around corners
- Out-of-staters not knowing the rules of the road
- Stop-and-go traffic patterns
- Drivers ignoring the laws for crosswalks
- People cutting into bike lanes
- Wrong-way collisions on one-way roads
- Driver cutting other drivers off
- Drivers being unable to see around blind spots, like double-parked cars or delivery trucks
In short, the leading cause of car accidents is another driver’s negligence. Injuries, however, can be caused by defective auto parts, being hit by a negligent driver, not wearing a seatbelt, and reckless drivers.
And while speed is a factor in many catastrophic car accidents, a slow-moving vehicle can also do serious damage. A car doing a mere 18 miles per hour can hit you with enough force to set your airbag off. That’s enough force to send shards of flying glass at you, or cause damage to your neck, back, head or spine. Depending on the circumstances of the collision, it could also lead to a wrongful death, especially if you are stopped when you are hit head-on, from the side or from the rear.
The dangers of collisions with commercial trucks
A commercial truck, like an 18-wheeler or a delivery truck, can outweigh the average car by up to 76,000 lbs. With that amount of mass, any hit at any speed will be enough to do some serious damage. If you are on a bike or a motorcycle, or on foot when you are hit, you could sustain a catastrophic injury: one that is long-lasting if not permanent, and will change your life forever. Collisions with commercial trucks can lead to permanent brain damage, paralysis, loss of limbs or a coma.
Commercial trucks like semis are also dangerous because they cannot slow down or stop as quickly as a car can. Their weight simply prevents them from doing so. Therefore, it may be impossible for a truck to avoid a collision with another car. It the driver slams the brakes too hard, or attempts swerving into another lane, he or she risks:
- Jackknifing the truck
- Flipping the truck over
- Spilling cargo and debris on the roadways
- Causing a multi-car pile-up
- Crashing into a building or other stationary object
Because drivers can so easily fall into a truck’s blind spot, it is crucial that you stay a safe distance away from any truck, whether it’s carrying toxic chemicals or freshly-baked loaves of bread. A crash with a commercial vehicle is almost certain to be devastating, if not deadly.
How can a personal injury law help me if I am in a car or truck crash?
First things first: when you work with a personal injury lawyer, make sure he or she has experience in these types of cases. We’ve been handling them for more than 35 years, and we’ve helped countless people by:
- Working with the doctors. We review your medical records, communicate with your doctors, and make sure all of your information is up-to-date.
- Investigating the accident. We’ll speak to witnesses, schedule and take depositions, and review the police records. We’ll also review any footage available, whether that comes from people posting videos on social media, or from security cameras at local store fronts. If there’s a red light camera, we’ll look at that footage, too.
- Look into potential defects. If the truck had, say, defective air brakes, or the car was on the recall list, but the part wasn’t available yet form the manufacturer, you may have grounds for a claim against that manufacturer.
- Dealing with the insurance company. Your insurance company doesn’t want to pay you. They want to keep their money. As such, most insurers offer low-ball offers right off the bat. We don’t back down when it comes to negotiating a fair settlement offer. We also don’t force you to take an offer you don’t want, because we….
- Prepare every case for trial. A lot of our clients want to avoid jury trials, but sometimes, that’s the only way to get the insurance companies or other negligent parties to play fair. Because we’re willing to go to trial, our clients often get better settlement offers right from the start. When they don’t, we put our considerable skills to use in a trial setting.
Motor vehicle collisions can lead to a life-time of pain and suffering. They can also leave you with mounting medical bills and the inability to work – and no car to get you there, even if you can. We make sure you’re protected at every step. We’ll get you a rental car, help you find the right mechanic, and got to bat for you when the insurance adjuster doesn’t play fair. Let us help.
We’re the firm your friends and family trust to protect them after a car or truck crash
Dealing with the after effects of a collision is hard; choosing the right lawyer for your needs shouldn’t be. Larry Pitt & Associates offers comprehensive and aggressive representation to car and truck crash victims in Pennsylvania. Please call 1.888.PITT.LAW or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Philadelphia traffic accident lawyer today. We are proud to serve clients in Berks, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties.