Which Mental Impairments are Accepted by the Social Security Administration?
Skilled Philadelphia Social Security Disability Lawyers Help You Get The Benefits You Need
The Social Security Administration recognizes a number of mental impairments and disabilities which can make it impossible for a person to support him or herself – psychologically, emotionally or financially. If the person has developed or acquired such an impairment, and has contributed to the Social Security fund for at least five years, then he or she should be eligible for disability benefits.
The Philadelphia law firm of Larry Pitt & Associates has helped thousands of people in Berks County, Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, Montgomery County and Philadelphia County obtain the Social Security Disability benefits they need in order to survive. For the last 35 years, we have devoted ourselves to protecting the rights of the injured and the unwell, and have successfully helped individuals with certain mental impairments apply for SSD benefits, and have helped families with disabled children apply for SSI benefits on behalf of their children. When you need help for your future, you can trust in Larry Pitt & Associates.
Acceptable Mental Impairments
The SSA has a list of specific mental and physical impairments that are automatically considered for benefits – but this is no guarantee that you will be granted those benefits. That is why an experienced Social Security Disability lawyers like those at Larry Pitt & Associates is a crucial part of the application process. We represent the best interests of people who suffer from:
- Anxiety disorders, such as manic depression/bi-polar disorder or post-traumatic stress disorder
- Autism and other pervasive developmental disorders
- Congenital disorders affecting multiple bodily systems, like Down Syndrome
- Intellectual disabilities, usually indicated by a low IQ
- Personality disorder, such as sociopathic tendencies
- Psychosis-related disorders such as schizophrenia or paranoia
- Organic mental disorders, which affect the brain but are not related to other types of disorders. Organic disorders may present with memory loss, could be brought on by an illness or a traumatic brain injury, or could be caused by any number of reasons
- Somatoform disorders, which present with physical symptoms but lack any “proof” of why those symptoms exist
- Substance addiction
In order to prove that your mental impairment makes it impossible for you to work and support yourself, you must have documentation from a doctor that supports the diagnosis. At Larry Pitt & Associates, we work with your doctors to ensure that all of the paperwork is in order. We want you to start collecting your benefits as quickly as possible, but we will never substitute thoroughness for speed. That is why so many people in and around Philadelphia, including people whose initial application for benefits was denied before they came to see us, trust our firm to help and protect them.
If You Have a Mental Impairment on the List, Let Larry Pitt & Associates Help You Apply for SSD Benefits
When you cannot work because of a disability, you have options to protect yourself and your family. Let Larry Pitt & Associates help you. We are a trusted Philadelphia Social Security Disability law firm, and we have the experience you want on your side. Please call 888-PITT-LAW or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation at one of our multiple office locations serving Berks County, Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, Montgomery County and Philadelphia County.